One of the best banana cake recipes has a bourbon glaze that makes its delicate crumb moist and flavorful.
This chiffon cake is similar to angel food cake in that it is baked in the same type of pan, and it must be inverted upside down to cool to prevent it from collapsing. Chiffon and angel food cakes also require a long serrated knife to slice them.
Pan Type and Size:
One 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom
TIP: DO NOT use a nonstick surface pan. And, DO NOT grease the pan.
Ingredients For the cake:
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks (see egg separator)
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract For glazing…
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar.
- Prepare the pan, Do not grease the pan.
- Oven temperature: Preheat the oven to 325° F
- set the rack at the middle level to make the cake
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Sift into another bowl. Then sift back into the large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredient mixture and add the egg yolks, mashed bananas, and oil.
- Spoon the bourbon into a measuring cup and add enough water to measure 1/3 cup.
- Add to the well along with the vanilla extract.
- Using a portable electric mixer, beat the ingredients in the center of the well, gradually taking the dry ingredients in from around the edge as you beat, just until the batter is smooth.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, at medium-high speed, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks begin to form.
- Pour one-third of the batter over the beaten egg whites and fold together quickly but thoroughly. Repeat two times.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes at 325° F. NOTE: DO NOT open the oven door while the cake bakes or it may fall.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350° F and bake for 10 or 15 minutes longer, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- immediately invert the pan and cool the cake upside down and supported on an empty wine bottle inserted into the center of the cake pan tube, until the cake is completely cooled.
- Re-invert the pan and run a cake knife spatula around the sides, pressing close against the pan.
- Remove the cake, still attached to the removable bottom, and run a knife underneath and around the neck.
- Invert again so that the bottom side is up, and place onto a serving plate.To make the glaze..
- In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the bourbon and milk to a simmer.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Immediately spread the glaze over the top of the cake with a cake knife spatula, and allow the glaze to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Allow the glaze to cool until it is set.
Use a serrated cake knife to slice the cake. Serve by itself or with ice cream.
Keep at room temperature under a large cake dome, or store in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap.